Cincinnati Forgery Lawyer
Defending Against Forgery Charges in Ohio
When you face forgery charges in Cincinnati, you must have experienced legal representation by your side. At Bleile & Dawson, we specialize in defending individuals against forgery accusations in Ohio. With a proven track record of success and a commitment to protecting your rights, our team of skilled attorneys is here to help you navigate the complexities of forgery charges.
Call Bleile & Dawson today at (513) 399-5945 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our forgery attorney in Cincinnati!
What is Forgery?
Forgery is a severe crime in Ohio that involves intentionally creating, altering, or using a false document or item with the intent to deceive or defraud. Common examples of forgery include:
- Forgery of Documents: Falsifying documents such as contracts, checks, wills, or deeds to gain an unlawful advantage or cause financial loss to another person.
- Identity Theft: Using someone else's personal information, such as a signature, social security number, or credit card, to commit fraud.
- Counterfeiting: Creating counterfeit money or other currency intending to deceive or spend it as genuine.
- Forgery of Artwork: Creating counterfeit art or collectibles to deceive art collectors or buyers.
- Forgery of Prescription Medication: Forging prescriptions for controlled substances, such as opioids or other drugs, is common.
Ohio law takes forgery offenses seriously, and those convicted may face severe penalties.
What are the Penalties for Forgery in Ohio?
Forgery charges can result in substantial legal consequences in Ohio. The specific penalties you may face depend on the nature of the forgery, the value of the property or money involved, and your prior criminal record. Some of the common penalties for forgery include:
- Criminal Charges: Forgery charges can range from misdemeanors to felonies, with corresponding penalties that may include fines, probation, restitution, and imprisonment.
- Felony Forgery: Serious cases, especially those involving large sums of money or valuable property, can lead to felony charges. Felony convictions carry the risk of lengthy prison sentences and significant fines.
- Restitution: If you're convicted of forgery, the court may order you to compensate the victim for their financial losses.
- Criminal Record: A forgery conviction can have a lasting impact on your criminal record, making it difficult to secure employment, housing, or financial assistance.
It's important to understand that each forgery case is unique, and the penalties can vary significantly. The severity of your charges and potential consequences will depend on various factors.
Defenses Against Forgery Charges
When facing forgery charges in Cincinnati, it's essential to have a skilled attorney who can build a strong defense on your behalf. Some common defenses against forgery charges may include:
- Lack of Intent: To secure a forgery conviction, the prosecution must prove that you intended to deceive or defraud. It can be a strong defense if you can demonstrate that you lacked the necessary intent.
- Mistaken Identity: You may argue that you were wrongly identified as the perpetrator, and the evidence against you cannot prove your guilt.
- Procedural Errors: If law enforcement violates your rights during the investigation or procedural errors in handling evidence, it can weaken the prosecution's case.
- Coercion or Duress: If you were forced or threatened into committing the forgery, you may be able to claim that you acted under duress.
- Alibi: If you can provide evidence that you were not at the location where the forgery occurred when it happened, it can be a powerful defense.
At Bleile & Dawson, we will thoroughly evaluate the circumstances of your case to identify the most effective defense strategy. Our experienced attorneys deeply understand forgery laws in Ohio, and we are dedicated to fighting for the best possible outcome in your case.
Contact Our Cincinnati Forgery Attorney Today
Facing forgery charges in Cincinnati is a serious matter, and it's crucial to have solid legal representation on your side. The experienced attorneys at Bleile & Dawson are here to help you understand the charges against you, develop a solid defense strategy, and work toward the best possible outcome for your case.
Contact Bleile & Dawson today to schedule a consultation with our forgery lawyer in Cincinnati!